Kick start your day with this sweet and tangy breakfast bowl packed full of beautiful colours and textures. This bowl is made up of raspberries, blueberries, porridge oats, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, banana, cashews, linseed and maca powder. Served with a berry smoothie.
Breakfast has recently become my favourite meal of the day. I’d previously just get by on porridge sachets, cereal, and the occasional bacon sandwich at work on a Friday morning. And that was only because people would tell me it’s the most important meal of the day, as I could happily skip breakfast and have an earlier (and bigger) lunch.
Fortunately, when at work I have the facilities, and the flexibility to be able to make breakfast and eat it at my desk. We have microwave facilities etc, and can take a break when we want really, it’s not like we’re micromanaged or anything.
Since working from home, and now being furloughed, I have as much time as I want to make breakfast, and it’s not like I’ve got much else on my hands at the minute. I wrote a blog last week about a Working From Home Breakfast – check it out!
The thing I love about making these breakfast bowls, is that they don’t require much effort, other than being stocked up on fresh (or frozen) ingredients.
To make this very berry breakfast bowl, I made a smoothie, heated up some porridge oats, and decorated with fresh berries, nuts, seeds and some powdered nutritious plants.
If you’re looking for some inspiration on smoothies, then leave us a comment as Bex is the smoothie queen here at Ped’s Kitchen, and she will; be more than happy to share her tips with you.
INGREDIENTS FOR A VERY BERRY SMOOTHIE:
- 1 1/12 cups of frozen berries
- 1 Banana
- 1 Tbsp of natural yoghurt
- 100ml water
INGREDIENTS FOR A VERY BERY BREAKFAST BOWL:
- Handful of raspberries
- Handful of blueberries
- 1 Banana
- Handful of mixed dried fruits
- Sprinkle of pine nuts
- Sprinkle of sunflower seeds
- Sprinkle of cashew nuts
- 1 tsp Maca powder
- 1 tsp Linseed
- Porridge oats
- 200ml Milk
- Splash of water
How to make a very berry breakfast bowl:
- Start by making your smoothie. Chuck all of your ingredients into a blender (I used a Nutribullet) and blending until smooth, but fairly thick. Add more water if too thick.
- Heat some porridge oats in a saucepan and add the milk, and a splash of water. Cook until thick and creamy.
- Layer half of the bowl with porridge, and then the other half with your smoothie mix. (save some to drink!)
- Add the remaining ingredients, and decorate as pretty as possible
Please let me know what you think of this bowl – I absolutely love it and would choose this over a cooked breakfast any day. Ok, well maybe not on a hangover!
Thanks for reading my post, please do check out some of the other recipes on the blog too, and don’t forget to subscribe as we have a monthly newsletter coming soon!
- Everything in Stir Fry Recipe
- Homemade Wagamama’s Chicken Ramen Bowl
- Chocolate Tahini Banana Bread
- Steak Sandwich with Red Onion & Mustard Mayonnaise
- Crab Linguine