This vegan tofu sandwich is a twist on a regular BLT, but we like to called it a TLT. Made with toasted sourdough, vegan mayo & smoked tofu.
Yes, really, a TLT!
Yup, I’m sure you thought that was a typo there. It’s not. This is a much loved recipe I force my husband to eat regularly! A twist on a BLT. I have never been a huge fan of tofu, one because I didn’t know what it was for years! And two, the thought and texture of it just put me off! Fast forward a few years and my sister in law becomes a fully fledged vegan! She introduced us to this amazing tofu udon noodle stir fry and I’m hooked! (This blog will be coming soon!)
I’d read a few places that you can make tofu taste like bacon, and although I’m not vegan/vegetarian, I do love this recipe!!!
But let’s just say you can’t make tofu taste like bacon. But you can make smoked tofu that tastes amazing!! (Kinda Rhymes?)
It’s a really simple recipe, I couldn’t find a simple one to smoke tofu – they all talk about buying liquid smoke & I wanted “tofakon” that day! – so I just made it up as I went along!
Ingredients for the Marinade:
- 4 x Table spoons of Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Onion Granules
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Garlic Granules
(Marinate for 10 minutes)
I mixed all this together in a bowl, cut the tofu (3 x slices) into thin slices and pop it into the bowl. After about 5 minutes turn it over & leave to marinate again.
Ingredients for the Sandwich:
- 2 x Slices from a loaf of your choice
- 1 x Tomato
- 1 x Handful of Spinach
- 3 x Slices of Tofu (see above for adding the flavour)
- 1 x Vegan Mayonnaise (We used Hellmans)
- Franks Hot Sauce (Optional)
- Cut the bread into 2 x slices, grab the tomatoes (slice) and spinach out the fridge then go back to the tofu.
- Heat up a pan nice and hot, you can add a dash of oil if you haven’t got a none stick pan. (Ive read some questionable things about none-stick pans recently so let me know your thoughts on these in the comments below!)
- Add the marinated tofu that you prepared earlier and cook for around 2/3 minutes on each side on medium heat. I try and get mine a little bit crispy like you would with bacon.
- Whilst the tofu is on it’s second 3 minutes, get your bread toasted. Add lashings of mayonnaise… I like a lot, my husband not so much! I don’t like it to be really dry though and you haven’t got the fat from the bacon to soak into the toasted bread.
- (Hang on a minute, why am I using tofu…)
- Once the Mayo is on, pop on your lettuce or spinach, tomatoes and then your tofu. If you want a bit more of a kick to your TLT add some franks hot sauce. I pop this on most things as it’s THE BEST!!
- Add your top piece of toast and go for it!
What did you think?
Honestly I really love a Vegan Tofu Sandwich or TLT, I hadn’t eaten bacon in about 18 months until yesterday when my husband wanted a bacon sandwich and I can say I didn’t enjoy it half as much as my tofu sandwich! You might think I’m crazy, but try it and let me know!
It would be great to hear your feedback and if you want to check out any of our other quick and easy recipes, take a look here…