Rock Salt Whole Chicken and Asparagus with a side of Spring Greens is a great Sunday lunch option without adding any carbs!
So we are trying to cut out a few carbs from some of our meals, as it tends to be an obvious addition without adding anything to the meal. For example, let’s just put some mash on or chips. We do love carbs, pasta…potatoes..you name it, but we’ve decided to occasionally drop them and today’s one of those days.
This Rock Salt Chicken and asparagus and greens cooked in garlic, salt, and olive oil were the perfect accompaniment. We could have easily thrown some roast potatoes or mash with it for a much heavier meal and may well do that at some point. If you are fancying a chicken dish that’s much heavier, head over to the Chicken Chasseur post.
We love having a Sunday lunch and when it’s done right, there’s not many meals that can top it. But, Sometimes cooking a full Sunday lunch for two of us is full-on and we (Tom & Bex) do try to be conscious of what we eat and feel this is a great option if you’re looking for something a little different on a Sunday afternoon.
It’s got to be one fo the easiest meals on the blog, so for that reason Im not going to harp on about it for ages, but give it a try and i’m sure you’ll keep it in the back of your head next time you want something tasty and easy to make.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 Tbsp Rock Salt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 10 Spears of Asparagus
- 1 head of Spring Greens
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- Turn your oven to 160 degrees.
- Remove the packaging from your chicken and add over your olive oil. Rub in half your rock salt and then place into the oven.
- Leave the chicken to roast for 30 minutes, with the juice that comes out of the chicken, scoop some up carefully with a spoon and pour it back over the top of the chicken. Sprinkle a tiny bit more salt over.
- After another 20 minutes, turn up the heat to 180 degrees and spoon over the juices again and you're last bit of salt.
- Leave in the oven for the remainder of the time and once done, turn off the oven, get it out and leave to rest whilst you do the greens.
- Heat up a pan of water for your spring greens.
- In a frying pan, heat up your olive oil and put in your crushed garlic. Leave for a minute until it starts to go a little golden.
- Add your asparagus spears to the frying pan and then add your greens to the water.
- Keep tossing your spears for a couple of minutes until cooked.
- Drain the greens after 3 minutes and then plate everything up.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 578Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 175mgSodium: 2511mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 56g
Thanks for reading another one of our recipes, we really love cooking good, tasty, simple foods. If you want any more food inspiration, check out a few of our posts below.
- Everything in Stir Fry Recipe
- Crab Linguine
- Seabass with spiced lentils and tender-stem broccoli
- One-Pot Pasta Puttanesca
- Sweet Potato, Spinach and Lentil Curry
Fancy heading over to our socials to say hi?…