This is a quick and easy Prawn and Chorizo Spaghetti recipe, that can be made in just 20 minutes. I used spaghetti, prawn, chorizo, tomatoes, garlic, chilli, and lime to finish. Given how long this dish takes it packs loads of flavours from the chorizo and garlic. I’ve added chilli to give it a little kick. The citrus in the lime gives it a slightly sweet finish.
A friend at work had given me this recipe a couple of years ago. His version was with linguini, but I should imagine it would be good with tagliatelle too! I’ve never had it with spaghetti, but it’s all I had in, and moving forward spaghetti will be first choice. This was delish!
The Italian inspiration:
Somebody had mentioned one of my favourite restaurants to me today in Birmingham. A place called Fumo, part of the San Carlo Group, and this got me thinking I quite fancy some pasta! In fact even thinking of the place now is giving so much inspiration to cook dishes I’ve eaten there.
They serve up Italian style tapas, with a fancy cocktail bar and late lounge. The food there in my opinion is incredible. Usually I go with friends, and share the small tapas style dishes. We usually order over ten dishes at a time, everyone usually unique and proper tasty. It’s no wonder it’s packed most weekend evenings. They do a great job there!
I do enjoy making pasta dishes, but I was bought a pasta machine for Christmas a few years back. Since then, I find it hard to eat store bought pasta. But then again I can never really be arsed to make fresh pasta. For a 20 minute dish I thought I’ll just use spaghetti out of the packet for this dish. I will be making some fresh pasta over the coming weeks so do keep an eye on the blog.
With regards to the Chorizo, I always try to use the best quality one possible. You can really tell a difference with the taste and texture. I used Goikoa Chorizo De Navarra, from Waitrose. It’s the first time I’ve use it, and I was super impressed! Any recommendations on other good Chorizo’s?
How Much spaghetti should i use, as sometimes i use too much and sometimes too little?
When i first started out cooking, this was one thing that would always annoy me. I could never get my amount of spaghetti right. You see the picture below? The hole in the pasta ladle or spoon is the perfect size for one serving of pasta. I didn’t know this until a few years back – did you? Could you let me know in the comments? I was thinking this is a bit of a revelation for an amateur cook?
How to make the prawn and chorizo spaghetti:
- 400g can of tinned tomatoes
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 Lime
- 1 Red onion
- 120g or Half a bag of jumbo frozen king prawns
- 100g Chorizo ring sliced
- Handful of cherry tomatoes.
- Coconut oil
- 1 tsp Basil dried
- 1 tsp Oregano dried
- Splash Red wine vinegar
- Start by bringing a large pan of water to the boil, add a good pinch of salt to the water, and add the spaghetti. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the, spaghetti is cooking, dice the the onion, and chuck into a deep frying pan with some coconut oil. Cook for 5 mins.
- Deseed and chop the chilli, and chuck in the pan with the sliced chorizo, oregano and basil. Crush the garlic cloves in and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add frozen prawns. Cook for a further 2 minutes
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and add to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tinned tomatoes and stir, in a squeeze of lime just and some zest. If you want to add vegetables, I threw some spinach in at this point.
- Drain the pasta and add to the pan. Stir for another 1 minute.
- Serve with rocket, fresh parsley or whatever tickles your fancy!
Thanks for checking out my recipe, and if you do try this I hope you enjoy it! Please see below a few other recent posts of ours.
- Tuna Steak with Chilli Oil and Greens
- Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Watermelon, Lime & Mint Slush
- Smoothie Bowl
- Beef and Stilton Pie
Don’t forget to follow us on other social channels too. We are always keeping you updated with our recipes and recent news there!
Thanks for reading.