This is my Mum’s sweet bread pudding recipe. This is made using bread, mixed fruit, eggs, milk, double cream, butter and sugar.
This traditional dessert dish may vary depending where you’re from in the world, but here in the Midlands we serve it sweet, and with cream. Well that’s how Mom does it anyway. This is her recipe, and she’s always done it this way, and if I’m honest it’s the only bread pudding I know of! According to Wikipedia, it differs all around the world.
If you’re one of these people that never finishes a loaf of bread and it goes to waste, this is the perfect way to use up the remaining slices, unless you’ve got ducks nearby of course.
This is probably the easiest dessert on the blog so far, and uses simple ingredients that most will already have in the pantry. It’s so easy to put together, using a simple layering method, similar to how you make lasagna, it’s literally covering the ingredients with one another and baking!
Now don’t get me wrong, I do love Bread Pudding, but I don’t think I could eat it on it’s own. My choice is usually double cream, but you can serve it with custard, ice cream, chocolate, or apple. I’ve even seen a recipe with marmalade, but that only goes on toast in my kitchen!
What you’ll need to make a bread pudding:
- 8 Slices of white bread (buttered and quartered)
- 2 Eggs
- 300ml whole milk
- 2 Tbsp double cream
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp Caster sugar (and some for serving)
- 75g dried mixed fruit
- Butter for lining the oven dish
Steps to make it….
- Preheat the oven to 180C/360F,
- Lightly grease your ovenproof dish with butter, and cover the bottom half of the dish with half of the bread, slightly overlapping.
- Sprinkle a handful of mixed fruit over the bread, and layer again with more bread and butter then more fruit.
- Lightly heat the milk, vanilla and cream in a saucepan a low heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and caster sugar in a bowl, and add to the saucepan with milk.
- Pour the mixture over the layered fruit and bread, and leave to soak for around 30 minutes.
- Bake fort 30-40 minutes until golden brown
Thanks for reading this quick and easy Bread Pudding Recipe. You have my Mom to thank for this one as I stole this one from her, but can’t take credit fo it I’m afraid!
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this, if you have, then why not leave us a comment below? The comments and the feedback is what’s keeping us motivated to keep sharing recipes.
Please do check us out on our other social pages too!
- Everything in Stir Fry Recipe
- Homemade Wagamama’s Chicken Ramen Bowl
- Chocolate Tahini Banana Bread
- Steak Sandwich with Red Onion & Mustard Mayonnaise
- Crab Linguine
We also have a monthly newsletter starting next month, with exclusive recipes, some more information about the team at Ped’s Kitchen and some of the ideas we have for later on this year.
Check out our Desserts Page here for more sweet tooth inspiration.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss any of this exclusive content!
Thanks for reading and please keep safe.