Recently, I’ve been using a lot of the spices from the rack and I’ve got into a groove of trying to get through as many as I can. This Harissa Chicken packs loads of flavour with red chilli, red pepper, cumin, coriander, garlic, chilli flakes, and much more!
Harissa & using Fennel…
I decided to adapt the harissa recipe as a lot of the recipes ask for Caraway seeds which I didn’t have. So I used Fennel which is a sufficient substitute, it is in the same family and has the anise flavour. The harissa sauce has been one of my favourites I’ve made recently. It’s simple to make and tastes amazing. The sauce originated in North Africa and is made up of hot chilli, garlic, pepper, and spice, whats not to like? I love it and would have it with so many meals! This recipe does leave you with some leftover, so I’m going to make fish tacos tomorrow. I’ll spread the leftover sauce on those too.
Giant Cous Cous Salad…
The giant couscous salad is really easy to make and I’ll be honest, I started by chopping up things we had in the fridge. We could have done a traditional north African couscous, but we didn’t have any raisins or chickpeas. As a last-minute addition, we picked some mint leaves from the garden that have just started to show. It’s one of the easiest herbs to grow and is very versatile. It tasted great on this dish, and gave the couscous salad a refreshing hit.
- FOR THE HARISSA CHICKEN:
- 2 x Chicken Breast
- 1/2 Chopped Red Pepper
- 1 x Tsp Cumin
- 1 x Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 3 x Red Chillies
- 1 x Tsp Fennel
- 2 x Garlic Cloves (Crushed)
- 1 x Lemon Wedge Juice
- 1 x Tsp Salt
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- 1 x Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- FOR THE COUSCOUS SALAD:
- 150g of Giant Cous Cous
- 6 x Cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 x 2-inch piece of Cucumber chopped
- Half a Red onion, finely diced
- Half a Red Pepper finely diced
- Handful of Coriander
- Handful of Mint
- Half a Lemon Juice
- 1 x Vegetable stock cube (500ml of water)
HARISSA SAUCE RECIPE:
- Slice and de-seed the Red chilies and chop into small chunks. Be careful when handling not to touch your face/eyes...they can sting a little.
- Toast off your coriander seeds and cumin seeds on the hob before grinding with a pestle and mortar.
- In a bowl, add your 1/2 red pepper, smoked paprika, fennel, salt, crushed garlic, lemon juice, and white wine vinegar. Mix this into a paste with a spoon.
- Put in your tomato puree, Throw in your Red Chillies, a sprinkle of chili flakes. Either put this into a blender or if you have a hand-blender you can do this in the bowl.
- As you are mixing, drizzle in olive oil until the sauce gets to the right consistency for you. You can add water at this stage if you want to thin the sauce.
- Marinade the Chicken with the Harissa Sauce and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight if possible.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Take your marinated chicken out of the refrigerator ready for cooking and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Whilst your chicken is cooking, boil 500ml of water on the hob and put in your vegetable stock. Cook your couscous according to the packet directions, ours was on a low/medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Prepare all of your vegetables and herbs.
- Once your couscous is cooked, scoop it into a bowl and squeeze in your lemon juice. Mix in all of your vegetables and herbs.
- Once your chicken is cooked, start plating up your meal. We decided to throw on some green leaf for garnish.
- Be sure to make your harissa sauce first and allow your chicken to marinate for at least two hours. Overnight if possible.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 822Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 1819mgCarbohydrates: 121gFiber: 20gSugar: 45gProtein: 52g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 5/5/2020
Thanks for reading this post, it’s been one of my favourite meals that I’ve eaten recently. And probably one of the easiest I’ve made. Maybe it’s because the sun was shining and it fits quite well?
Check out some of our most recent posts below:
- Everything in Stir Fry Recipe
- Homemade Wagamama’s Chicken Ramen Bowl
- Chocolate Tahini Banana Bread
- Steak Sandwich with Red Onion & Mustard Mayonnaise
- Crab Linguine
If you don’t already, why not check out some of our social media links below. We are currently setting up a facebook account, so keep an eye out for that.