This is a Homemade Buttermilk Chicken Burger recipe. I made the buttermilk using just milk and lemon juice. All I added to the burger was maple syrup bacon, cheese slices, and spinach leaves on a brioche bun.
This Buttermilk Chicken Burger recipe was a first for me. And wow! It certainly won’t be the last.
I’m a real burger fiend. My favourite takeaway restaurant in the world is probably fat burger. Five guys is the closet I can get where I live. The reason I’ve never made this, is my love for beef burgers. Chicken burgers don’t usually cut for me if I’m honest. Having made this burger, I have to disagree. This buttermilk chicken burger tastes incredible, and finishing it off with maple syrup bacon put’s this on par with a Fatburger.
Buttermilk Chicken is something that has become hugely popular in recent years in the UK. I guess it’s the southern fried chicken of this era. Most recipes will say to use store bought buttermilk. However, it’s super easy to use just whole milk and lemon juice (2 tbsp).
This recipe is easy to make, but it will require some preparation time. You need to marinade the chicken in the buttermilk. Marinade the chicken for at least an hour. For the best results do this overnight.
I had mine with homemade fried sweet potato wedges, as you simply cut them up and chuck them in the fryer! Simple.
INGREDIENTS: (Serves 4)
- 4 Skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Cups whole milk
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp black pepper
- ½ Tsp chilli powder
- 2 cups Plain flour
- 1 Tbs salt
- 1 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbs Garlic powder
- 2 Tsp black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 4 Brioche Buns and butter
- 4 Smoked bacon rashers ( I grilled mine in maple syrup)
- 8 American Cheese slices
- To make the marinade, stir 2 tbsp’s lemon juice with 2 cups of milk, microwave for 1 minute and leave to stand for 10 minutes on the worktop
- Marinade the chicken breast in the buttermilk for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Lightly grill bacon with maple syrup, and leave to one side.
- Cut brioche buns and butter lightly.
- Fry the chicken breasts for 8-10 mins until they are golden brown.
- Toast brioche buns in a skillet pan, add cheese slices and bacon and serve.
This recipe has to be one of my favourites on the blog so far. I would have this over a KFC any day! It really is delicious. Try it and let me know what you think!
Let us know if you try this recipe, and leave me a comment below. What are your thoughts on the blog so far?
Please check us out on Twitter, Instagram and Youtube. All the links are below.
Why not take a look at our latest posts we have right here:
- Tuna Steak with Chilli Oil and Greens
- Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Watermelon, Lime & Mint Slush
- Smoothie Bowl
- Beef and Stilton Pie
Thanks for reading.