Brie and Beetroot Tart served with a side salad. This is vegetarian recipe is easy to make and can be eaten a few days later. Or even frozen. I used brie instead of my normal choice, feta for this dish. The results were incredible and I’ll be definitely making this again!
This Brie and Beetroot Tart recipe is my first attempt. And it tasted amazing! I have made this previously but using feta, or goats cheese. This was my intention this evening but I’d noticed some brie in the fridge. ou can use any creamy cheese. The sell-by date was nearly up on my brie so I wanted to experiment!
I’ve not posted any recipes for a week now. This is unlike me. It’s vegetarian week this week, so I left it to Bex and Tom! I don’t cook many vegetarian dishes, but on a Friday afternoon, I’ve managed to pull something out of the bag. A Brie and Beetroot Tart.
I have made similar tarts to this one previously. Albeit using feta or goats cheese. The flavours work really well with this dish. The roasted red onion finishes off the flavour of the brie beautifully.
Cooking your beets.
It’s important to cook your beats first when making this. If not, they can be quite firm and they won’t be a good texture with the pastry. I baked mine for 20 minutes in honey prior. I like my onions well done so they were grilled for 10 minutes prior. The beetroot was thinly sliced. I cooked it for around 20-25 minutes. You can use pre-sliced beetroot but it won’t taste as good.
- 200g Brie
- 1 sheet of pre rolled pastry
- 2 fresh beetroots
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 tbsp Cream cheese
- 1 egg to wash pastry
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/360F, and remove pastry from the fridge.
- Scrub the beetroot, then slice into thin slices. Drizzle with honey and balsamic vinegar and roast for 20 minutes.
- Grill the onions in a splash of balsamic vinegar for 5 minutes to soften.
- Roll out the pastry and score the edges, 1cm into to make a border. Brush border with egg
- Add 2 tablespoons of cream cheese to the center of the pastry. Spread evenly with the back of the tablespoon to the edge of the border.
- Layer the beetroot, grilled onions, and sliced brie. Add a few sprigs of thyme. Add a drizzle of balsamic and olive oil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Season with more thyme, balsamic and olive oil to serve.
You can use other types of creamy cheeses such as goats cheese or feta.
A balsamic glaze can be used and gives a pretty finish!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 131mgSodium: 570mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 16g
This is estimated by Nutritionix
Thanks for checking out my vegetarian recipe. It’s the first one I’ve done in a while but this tastes so good!
It’s BBQ week next week, so I have a number of recipes to share with you. Also, I’ll be sharing more around my new kitchen purchase that I can’t wait to share with you all.
P.S – I’ve entered the Ole Hickory PitsRib Cook-Off 2020. As per the rules I can’t share any pics with you just yet, but subscribe below to be the first to hear about how it went.
Don’t forget to check out some of our recent posts here:
- Everything in Stir Fry Recipe
- Homemade Wagamama’s Chicken Ramen Bowl
- Chocolate Tahini Banana Bread
- Steak Sandwich with Red Onion & Mustard Mayonnaise
- Crab Linguine
If you love a tart as much as I do (lol) then check out some of Bex other recipe’s here:
Thanks for reading,