Our beautiful cake recipe with ground almonds, blueberries, raspberries and a good squeeze of lime is sure to go down well in any setting.
Today’s cake recipe is a little bit of a cheat one. I saw this recipe on the BBC Good Food page and really wanted to try it out! I’ve changed the recipe to how I wanted it so it’s not exactly the same, but it’s still got a whole load of fresh blueberries, raspberries, and a good old squeeze of lime!!
I have looked at this recipe for a good few weeks now and I keep meaning to make it. The basics for this recipe are from my chocolate cake recipe that I made a few weeks back! It’s such a great cake base, I just switch in and out the fruits or chocolate. I have made an Orange and Rhubarb cake that I plan to post soon. Basically, my inspiration is that I like eating cake.
So here’s what you’ll be needing for this cake recipe…
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING THE BLUEBERRY, RASPBERRY & LIME CAKE:
- 180g Room temperature Butter, Plus a little extra for greasing
- 180g Caster Sugar
- 3 x Eggs
- 125g Self Raising Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 100ml Milk (Nut or Oat also work great)
- 100g Blueberries
- 100g Raspberries
- 1 x Lime
Before we go any further…
Now before we go any further, I halved this recipe to make a smaller cake/loaf for the two of us. We’ve been eating so much sweet stuff I thought we could just have a little bit less!!!
I also substituted the caster sugar for coconut sugar as we didn’t have any and neither did the shops when I last went, but it worked great! I love using coconut sugar in baking as it doesn’t spike your index levels like normal white sugar does!
Coconut Sugar – a supporting article!
Have a read of this article I found and it will tell you some of the pros and cons with coconut and white sugar!
I basically started using it because my mom bought some for a recipe but then didn’t have any need for it, so she gave it to me and I’ve pretty much used it all up now. It’s really good!
METHOD FOR MAKING THE BLUEBERRY, RASPBERRY & LIME CAKE:
- Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees C or 350F. Grease your baking tin and put to one side.
- In a mixing bowl add your butter and sugar. Cream these together with a silicone spatula.
- Add your egg and fold though the mixture.
- Sieve in your flour, baking powder and then put in your ground almond. Mix everything together.
- Add your milk and combine everything together! Put in 70g of your blueberries and raspberries. Saving a few to put on the top just before we bake! Grate the zest off your lime and put it in the cake. Cut the lime in half and squeeze half the juice in too!
- Pour the mixture into the pre-greased baking tin. And now add your extra berries onto the top!
- Place in the oven on the middle shelf for 45-55 minutes depending on your oven! If you’ve halved the recipe like me then just put it in for 25 minutes.
- Take out the oven and wait for it to fully cool before trying to remove it from the baking tin.
- Whilst this is cooling, poke your cake with a knife and then squeeze over the rest of your lime juice.
- At this point if you have or can get icing sugar, mix the rest of the lime juice and icing sugar in a bowl with a dash of water and tip that over the top! Now that would be delicious.
- And now all you need to do is boil the kettle, get a cup of tea ready and wait for your cake to cool!
Check out more of our content below
I hope you enjoy this and many more of our recipes! We have lots of baking suggestions here if you’re wanting to check those out.
If you wanted to see what we’ve been baking, cooking or smoothie’ing over the last week have a look at these below?
- Everything in Stir Fry Recipe
- Homemade Wagamama’s Chicken Ramen Bowl
- Chocolate Tahini Banana Bread
- Steak Sandwich with Red Onion & Mustard Mayonnaise
- Crab Linguine
Do you follow us over on social media? Check us out here: